Monday, November 14, 2005

An Introduction...

I've been bouncing around ideas for another project recently and decided that I should start writing things down, otherwise I'll just keep forgetting things. This blog has been up for a while now; it was originally intended to be used for my live365 station, I just never got around to it. Hopefully, using this space as more of a sketchbook might prove to be more productive.

As of right now, I'm waiting for a Beaulieu 4008 camera that I purchased from someone on the filmshooting.com forums. The Beaulieu has most of the features a 16mm camera has and has a c-mount to switch lenses. This camera will probably serve as a MOS/A-Cam with the Nizo becoming the sync-sound A/B-Cam, and the Quartz becoming a Crash/C-Cam.

For ideas on a project, I'm leaning towards something that works well with the super8 medium. I'm digging the gritty texture you get from the film, so maybe something Sci-Fi, or something Noir/Pulp'ish... we'll see.

As with most of my other projects, I like placing rules/limitations early and try to work within them. It's easy for me to get lost with too many options.

Here's a short manifesto of sorts:
1. Shoot in Super 8mm.
2. Use only Black & White film stock (?).

This list might grow as I begin to work on a script.

Placing the project in the realm of Super 8 has it's limits within the format itself.
1. Lack of a steady film gate/film cartridges causes the film to weave, or "breath" around.
2. Sync sound becomes an issue with long takes, as the cameras I have aren't crystal sync'ed.
3. The resolution of Super 8 film makes wider shots seem softer, pushing frame compositions towards body wides, two shots, close-ups, etc. I think this quality is very similar to 3CCD minidv, but I could be wrong.
4. Cartridges are only 15m/50 feet long, which is about 2:30 mins in duration.

I can think of many more, but these were the major ones. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that, I'll have to work within the medium and not force it to be 16mm or video. Super 8 doesn't have the reliability as 16mm, nor do you get a way to preview what you're shooting like video.

The production for this project is mainly a reaction to A FAMILY SUPPER, and various minidv projects I've worked on since then. I've picked up a lot (or at least I hope I did) from those projects, and want to work on something entirely different. Getting a chance to work with film has gotten me giddy. Can't wait 'til things start rolling.

To be cont'd.

No comments: